When you have two girls sharing a room it’s difficult to say the least. They are different ages but both have equal amount of clothes and stuff! Their room isn’t that big so we have to be creative with space and that includes where we are going to house all their clothes!
Bree asked if we could get her a dresser just for herself so I went in search of a small dresser for her everyday clothes. I found a dresser at a store that Bree liked but the price tag was way over my budget. I decided to do what everyone else does and search Craigslist and I must have looked on the right day because there it was, the perfect dresser & the price was great too, $30.
After speaking with the seller and arranging to meet her at a neutral location, I picked it up, brought it home and got to working on it…..after about two months! Yeah, I am absolutely GREAT at finding pieces to work on and NOTORIOUS for letting them sit for a while. It doesn’t help that when I get in the mood to really work on projects, it’s usually during the school semester when I have mountains of homework and papers to write.
When I got to working on this dresser there was no stopping me. I was on a mission: get this dresser done and Bree’s clothes off the floor! There are some people who find furniture, bring the piece home, clean it up a bit and call it a day. I on the other hand find furniture, sand it down and paint it! Please don’t cringe, I am that person, I paint furniture. If it is a really good piece and in really good condition, then maybe I won’t paint it but the pieces I come across are neglected and need lots of TLC and paint.
I started with removing the hideous hardware! Oh my goodness that hardware was unattractive and really hard to remove. I didn’t think I was going to be able to get the pulls to budge but insert my hubby and his strength and he got them off! Yay!! Next I enlisted the assistance of my ever so eager helper, Bell. She loves to help when I work on projects so her job was to remove the suede like lining inside the drawers and help vacuum out any debris. Trust me, she loves to help and thought it was the best thing ever to be working with me. 🙂
So once the hardware was removed and the lining gone I stood back and debated whether or not to sand the entire dresser before painting. After a long pause in the work progress, I decided against sanding. If I was going to stain the dresser, then yes, I would have sanded. As it was, I needed to get this project done so I primed it instead. I used Killz Spray Can Primer since it dries fast. I did give it a light sanding after the primer dried and then proceeded to paint.
When we got the dresser Bree asked for it to be purple because that was the color of the original dresser she wanted. Now, I love purple but it can be a bit loud of a color and the color she originally picked out was LOUD! So we compromised and got a softer version of purple from Lowes. I also worked on the drawers and got those all nice a pretty too!
I painted primed the rails and painted them white then taped them off to paint the rest of the dresser. I used Flotrol to help minimize the brush strokes and it worked really well. I used three coats of Polycrylic to seal the dresser and did a light sanding between each coat.
I took Bree to Hobby Lobby and we found the cutest knobs. There were three different kinds that she liked so we chose two each and now each drawer has a different knob. We also went to Walmart and picked out fabric to line the inside of the drawers.
The finished product looks great!
I was so happy when I finally finished this project and even more happy that I no longer trip over a pile of clothes every time I walk into the girls room!
The total cost of the dresser make-over:
Flotrol $0 (I had it from a previous project)
Kilz Primer $0 (I had this in the garage too)
Painters Tape $0 (We keep this in stock too)
Knobs $12 – Hobby Lobby clearance
Fabric $3 – Walmart clearance
Elmer’s Fabric Adhesive $1.99 WalMart clearance
The grand total for this dresser make-over was $60!! Not too bad. Considering the dresser that Bree originally wanted cost $299 from another store and it wasn’t real wood.
On to the next project!